As we are finally eased out of the latest lockdown and allowed to do more things. We are so happy to see you all back in the gym and training again, and realise we all need to find our own routine again and get some consistency back in our lives.
Here are a few ideas and things that we find help us with all aspects of our health and fitness.
One way of doing this is by establishing a morning and night time routine. Routines can range anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours. It sets the tone for the rest of the day!
Morning Routine Ideas
- Exercises- Getting up and moving is one way to wake up and feel accomplished. Nothing like tackling a mountain of burpees or a brisk run to start off the day!
- Breath Work - 30-40 deep focused breaths, then breath hold and let the body do what it is capable of doing. When you need to breath fully in and hold for 15 seconds. Repeat this cycle 2 or 3 more times.
- Cold Shower - Not enough time to workout? Cold water forces you to take deeper breaths! More oxygen, more blood flow, and improved circulation! All you need is 30 seconds! If you are up for the challenge, no more than 2 minutes! Start small! Start with a hot shower and gradually turn it colder!
- Drink water with pink Himalayan sea salt or lemon water Or (Drink LMNT)- This helps start up your digestive system without shocking it awake. Room temperature water also helps.
- Make your bed - Start your day with a small win. It also gives your room the appearance of cleanliness to create a more relaxed environment as opposed to chaos creating a stressful environment.
- Stillness - Now I understand this might sound crazy, but being able to find and practice stillness is a great place to start and keep your mental health in tact too. This could be anything from a short walk with no music to just being present sat in a quiet room.
A night routine helps your body to physically calm down, and relax before bed. Just like we have routines for kids at a very young age to help them feel refreshed, we too can benefit from similar routines!
Night Time Routine Ideas
- Hot bath/shower - When we come out of a hot shower, the heat leaves our body, thus dropping our core temperature allowing us to initiate sleep more easily.
- Mobility Routine - there are plenty of options out there to follow, I personally prefer The Ready State. But the best one is the one that works best for you. If that’s ROM WOD, Go WOD or the many others out there use them and find a routine to follow them daily.
- No caffeine after 12 pm. Caffeine’s initial stimulant can last for about 3-5 hours. After that, it can take an additional 3-5 hours to completely leave your system.
- Reading - Slowing down our mind and focusing on something else other than work or chores helps promote being present and relaxation.
- Don’t look at your screen right before bed - if possible try to limit or stop scrolling 60-90 minutes before bed. (You can set your devices up to do this for you in settings)
- Keep your room dark (black out curtains) - Lights (specifically blue light) can suppress your melatonin levels which can make it more difficult to initiate sleep because your body is being tricked into thinking it is daytime.
Find something that works for your schedule, something you can maintain, and something that brings you joy!